Crab, Corn & Tomato Salad
Nothing says summer like steamed crabs, fresh sweet corn and juicy ripe tomatoes. Chef Mike shares one of his favorite Herrington Recipes to help you savor the last days of summer.
Sourcing the freshest seafood and produce is very important to us at Herrington on the Bay. We take pride in the partnerships we have with local farms and watermen to deliver a unique dining experience for our venue guests and catering clients.
One of our longest standing relationships for local produce is Swann Farms. We seasonally source fruits and vegetables from the Calvert County Farm including the delicious sweet corn that makes this recipe so special.
The Swann family has been farming along the Patuxent River in Owings for generations. Cousins Joe-Sam Swann and Jody Swann run the operation today. The farm is open to the public for pick your own berries in the spring and summer and they also sell peaches, sweet corn, pumpkins and other seasonal produce for wholesale and at the North Beach Farmer’s Market.
The Taste of Summer
Summertime is the perfect time for savoring the fruits of the Chesapeake Bay. One of our most popular recipes is the Crab, Corn, and Tomato Salad. For catered events, we usually serve this in dim sum spoons, but you can take many different approaches. This salad is served well in mini pastry shells, on toasted baguettes as you would serve bruschetta, or in a beautiful dish as a party dip.
RECIPE FOR HERRINGTON’S CRAB, CORN & TOMATO SALAD
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 tbsp zest of lemon
- 5 tbsp juice of lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn, cooked and cut off the cob
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Combine lemon zest, three tablespoons of lemon juice, and next five ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine remaining ingredients in the same bowl, folding the mixture together to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Serve salad chilled.